Monday, November 24, 2008

Time sure flies....

...when you are growing up!

Today is my eldest son's birthday. I can't believe how quickly the time goes by.

Saturday we ha a celebration for him. The best part is that he thinks "that's all he gets". :)

I made reservations for paint-ball. He'd never played before, but really wanted to try it. So, on Saturday we all loaded up in the car - the five of us, his uncle and 2 cousins along with some friends. We girls didn't play, we let the boys have fun alone. A total of 8 boys (including the "dads") had a great time together! We packed some snacks and cake and hot chocolate. Aaron, the youngest, initially said he wanted to play, but once we got there and he started to put on the gear, changed his mind. I convinced him to just give it a try and if he didn't like it, then one of the girls would take his place. So...off to the woods he went...when they came back after the first round I could see he had had a GREAT time, so I asked him if I could take off his vest and give it to Amanda, so she could play, since he didn't want to - and he said "NO, Mama!! I want to play!" - so we had a good laugh, teasing him a little bit, and he went back and played with the "big boys" for the rest of the afternoon.

Patrick, of course, had a wonderful time! He now wants his own paint-ball gun and gear, so that he can play at home any time he wants to. The other boys all said they had a good time, too, and have been talking about when they can all go again. I guess I'd have to say, he had a great birthday!

The kids all have to go to their dad's for Thanksgiving. We decided that, since we could find no relevant reason that Thanksgiving is on a Thursday, we are going to celebrate it today. So, today will be a great day of Thanksgiving! Thanks for each other, our family & friends, thanks for my son's 12th birthday, thanks for health and happiness, and thanks for the new lives we are building in Oregon - along with so many other things to be thankful for... and after the turkey and stuffing, we will have birthday cake!

From our family to yours - we wish you a happy Thanksgiving, as well - on whatever day you celebrate! :~D

3 comments:

Xoxo Grandma said...

Hi Kate and Darren,

It was fun to catch up on your family. We just got back from Thanksgiving with the kids in DC. It was so cold but family is really important. I can't imagine like without airplanes to take me to see my children. I'm glad your son had such a great day with the big-boy toys! Wish him a happy belated birthday from his great aunt Joy. Love to all.

Xoxo Grandma said...

I meant "life" oh, well, I'll learn to proof before I publish.

Darren and Kate said...

Joy - thank you!
I'm glad you had a nice holiday. It was very hard for us to not be with family on Thanksgiving day - being the first without Renae and my first away from my family in Idaho. We had a nice time alone together, though. If you get over this way, let us know - we'd love to see you again!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map