Monday, May 4, 2009

Technology

So...
I just wanted to take a quick minute to confound you all with my own personal contradictions.

I am not a huge fan of all this modern technology. I don't want my phone to play music, I want it to have a signal where-ever I am at. When I listen to music I have a radio, cd player, mp3 player, tape deck and yes, even a record player. To me, a phone is a phone. As for the internet, I love that I can chat and send e-mail, check my bank balance and all those other "convenience" things. But, you won't find me on E-Bay or Amazon or any other site buying stuff. I prefer to go to the store where I can actually touch and feel and look at what I am considering purchasing. When I book a flight, which I am finding myself doing more of than I EVER thought I would, I go online, check everything out, then call and make my reservation with a LIVE person, just so I know everything is correct. I get frustrated and, to be honest, a little angry, when I have to wait threw 15 minutes of recorded "self help" options to find out I need to "press 8 for a customer service representative". I prefer to use cash and / or checks to make purchases. I avoid stores that require me to use a debit card rather than my checkbook. I think children should play outside, with toys or their imaginations. I think things like xBox, PSP, Gamecube and the like should all be "special treats" especially for children. I think boys should call girls. I think girls should be ladies and boys, gentlemen. I think children should be taught manners and everyone should use them.

The point of the story is this. Although in most ways I am still a fan of the "old school" ways, I am quite thankful for the technology that help you "find people". There is someone who was imensly special in my life. Sometime during my senior year, we completely lost track of eachother. I had tried, several times, over the years to track this person down, even had a general idea of where they might be, but was never able to make contact.

Just a few days ago I'd gotten a spam mail from Classmates.com. Usually I just delete them, but this time I went ahead and clicked on the link. Guess what! The person I'd been looking for had been looking for me, too! I had a very basic profile on classmates. I don't have a paid membership (remember the part where I don't pay for stuff online? ha ha) , but was able to read the message. We have "made contact". I am very happy about that. I have had the questions answered that have been in my head all these years. I have found an old friend and, I hope, made a new one, too.

I am still an "old school" girl. I don't see myself changing much, but, I guess technology isn't so bad, after all...

3 comments:

Xoxo Grandma said...

Okay, so where are you in the picture?

Darren and Kate said...

ha ha ha! do you really think I'd tell! I'll give you a hint...somewhere in the middle with glasses :0)

The Lara Family said...

That was a cute post. I have enjoyed getting caught up with old friends on Facebook. I can thank technology for that.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map