Monday, September 22, 2008

Daily Devotions

At the school where I work we, the teachers and staff, have morning devotions together before the beginning of the school day. We each take turns leading the devotions. While reading my Bible, looking for inspiration for my turn this coming Wednesday, I came upon a verse that holds some meaning for events that have happened in my life.

Matthew 18:15-18
Moreover, if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, have have gained your brother. (16) But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. (17) And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector. (18) Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

These are words that I, myself, have had occasion to practice but did not. Sometimes it seems easier to talk to someone else about a problem than to address the situation head on. None of us likes confrontation, either as the confronter or the "confrontee".

My Mom used to say, "Never say anything behind someone's back that you wouldn't say to their face." Ya', Mom...much easier said than done.

I have found that often when we have told someone directly of feelings they have gone on to share the conversation and hurt with others rather than deal with the situation directly with us, which has only caused greater issue. So, more often than not, I simply let my personal pain sit in my heart rather than say anything. Because of this and because of my wanting to avoid confrontation or simply not wanting to "stir the pot" or overstep my bounds, feeling like it wasn't my place to say anything, relationships have been lost. Some of them lost to the point where trust and friendship can never be regained. I am sad about that. I'm sure some of you can relate to that, as well.

I know I am not perfect. I have never pretended to be. What's the point, it would be such an obvious lie! I am starting a new chapter in my life in a new place. Along with that, I am going to do my best to be a better person and put into practice the lessons I have been taught my entire life...

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map